CONTROVERSIAL PARK & RIDE PLAN FOR IDE IS WITHDRAWN.

News update from Cllr Alan Connett
T: 01626 638102
M: 0784 301 3705

Friday 27 May 2016
CONTROVERSIAL PARK & RIDE PLAN FOR IDE IS WITHDRAWN.

The controversial park and ride plan for Ide, near Exeter, has been withdrawn by Devon County Council.
Local county councillor Alan Connett asked the council earlier this week to look again at whether it should press ahead with the unpopular proposals.
The decision to withdraw the proposals, which were also decisively rejected in a rare Parish Poll of residents in Ide, was made yesterday.
Ide Parish Council also opposed the park and ride, although Teignbridge District Council supported it.
The county council says it will now continue working on the proposals, which it sees as an essential part of Exeter’s growth plans, and may resubmit a planning application at some point in the future.
Cllr Connett said:

“I am grateful the county council has withdrawn this proposal. There were so many questions about the evidence base the county council put forward and concerns not only from residents but also Highways England, which oversees the country’s national road network.
However, the plan isn’t completely off the table as the county council says it will continue to work on proposals for a park and ride at Ide/Alphington and may put in a new application at some point.
Local residents have worked very hard to examine and question the evidence put forward with this application and challenged the council’s assumptions and information.
The decision whether to approve the application was due to be made by the county council planning committee next month, but that was then put back to September.
I am pleased for the community that the application is off the table, at least for the foreseeable future.”